Monday, December 13, 2010

Heartless Bastards - The Mountain

Official album art, courtesy of Wikipedia
First off, I have to apologize for my absence. Sorry guys. I've been deathly busy these past three weeks, that I haven't had an ounce of free time. There is a lot of backed up music sitting on my desktop as I write. So for those of you that haven't completely lost faith in me, I have some good news. Due to this extensive backlog, I will be doing Album of the Day features for this week. Yes, that's right, I will have five albums, starting today.

I don't think that there is much I can say about Heartless Bastards that their music doesn't say for itself. This is exactly the kind of band that the term Rock 'n' Roll was invented for. I can concatenate words like electric-folk-blues-rock, but it wouldn't mean that much when speaking about this band. Even though this band formed in 2003 (formally anyway) as a garage band in Cincinnati, they play the kind of Rock 'n' Roll that we haven't heard since the late 1970's.


I found this band late at night--as usual--clicking on random videos on YouTube. The one that caught my ear the acoustic WNRN version of this album's title track, "The Mountain"; I was immediately lost in Erika Wennerstrom's unique howl of a voice. However, these quiet unplugged tracks left me wondering about the band name, so I ventured into the studio tracks, and I have to say, I feel in love with the band all over again. The full band electric tracks are a whole different animal, unleashing images of buss tours and dim stages; of closing your eyes and getting lost in the beat of the music.


However, this is all just talk until you hear the music. Here is something to hold you over before you get your hands on this album.



Hold Your Head High (Live in the HearYa Studio)


Nothing Seems the Same (live at SXSW)


Could Be So Happy (WNRN acoustic version)


Official site: theheartlessbastards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment