Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back

Official album art, courtesy of Wikipedia
For the third part of Album of the Day, I decided to mix it up a little bit. This is an album of what I like to call reverse covers.

When I think of a cover, I think of a small indie band or an undiscovered artist on YouTube performing a song by one of the rock legends. However, in this album, a rock legend has chosen to perform a bunch of songs from modern indie bands, like Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, and Regina Spektor, and some not-so-indie artists like Radiohead, Lou Reed, Paul Simon, David Bowie, Neil Young, The Magnetic Fields, and Elbow. Okay, well, comparing the lists, it seems like he is not covering as many indie bands as I would like you to think, but even with the "legends", the songs are not their biggest hits, but rather those hidden treasures that most of us usually overlook.

I feel like this album is a great tribute to some of the great musical influences of the past, and a really cool way to bring together indie bands of the past--now famous names in influence lists of musicians today--with the indie bands of the present, who are silently bringing a musical revolution, and inspiring the young minds of today to create more freely.

Peter Gabriel has made some interesting creative choices on some of these songs, some of which are not so flattering, in my opinion, but most of which are very majestic, presenting the songs in a new way--that is, nevertheless, very familiar to his style.

Take a listen; this time, I have the whole album on a playlist. Enjoy.


On a side note, why are so many websites for the older rock artists so terrible? I just refused to link to some of them.

Official site: petergabriel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment