Thursday, September 9, 2010

Allison Weiss ...Was Right All Along

Official album art, courtesy of Bandcamp
If anyone were able to bottle angst, it would be Allison Weiss.

I discovered this fine artist on Twitter of all places. Who would have thought? A person that I follow asked her to hang out in New York, and that message alone exerted a supra-natural power over my fingers, causing them to type her name into YouTube. The rest is self-explanatory.

I've only had this album for a few days, and yet have listened to it over ten or fifteen times. I can't quite put my finger on how I feel about it, because every time I listen to it, I catch yet another detail, completely changing the feeling that I get when listening to the music.

Though the songs are not all that multi-layered, and caution mostly on the stripped-down side, the feelings evoked by those songs are nothing if not complex.

Allison Weiss writes songs about everyday life--those little events that happen to everyone every day. Even though she is "just a girl with a guitar," her songs will resonate with just about anyone who is lucky enough to hear them. Often times, her songs even take on a personality of their own. They hold strong feeling--usually sadness or anger--and yet put on a happy front for the passers-by.

This is enough talk from me though. Her music speaks for itself. Since I haven't figured out how to embed audio yet, you guys get a video; it comes with the extra added bonus of getting to see the pretty Allison Weiss while listening.


If this happens to be too much band for your taste, don't worry, most of the videos on her YouTube channel are just Allison with an acoustic guitar.

Official Site: allisonw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment